fire damage Pismo Beach

Common causes of household fires and how to prevent them

-Household fires can cause significant damage to homes and can be life-threatening for occupants. SERVPRO of Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande, fire damage remediation specialists believe that in many cases taking the right precautions and following basic safety guidelines can prevent household fires.

The Pismo Beach fire damage remediation professionals have prepared a report to help residents identify the causes of household fires and take preventative steps.

  • Cooking fires are the leading cause of household fires, and can occur when food is left unattended on the stove or in the oven. Grease fires can also occur when oil or grease is heated to a high temperature and catches fire. To prevent cooking fires, it’s important to never leave food unattended while cooking, keep flammable materials away from the stove, and clean cooking surfaces and appliances regularly. Cooking fires can also start when grilling. Kitchen fire prevention awareness also applies when using the oven or grilling. The National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA), has free tips for preventing cooking fires on its website.
  • Electrical fires can occur when electrical equipment, such as appliances or wiring, malfunction or are overloaded. Having regular inspections by a licensed electrician, not overloading electrical outlets or extension cords, and immediately replacing damaged cords can prevent electrical fires. Fire extinguishers are essential household safety equipment reports the Pismo Beach fire damage company. However, there are different classes of extinguishers and one for putting out a kitchen fire might not work on an electric fire. Talk to your local fire department to get advice for the best class of fire extinguishers and where to place them in the home.
  • Smoking is a leading cause of house fires, particularly in bedrooms and living rooms. Cigarettes can easily ignite flammable materials, such as curtains, bedding, or furniture. To prevent smoking-related fires, it’s important to avoid smoking inside the home, or at least restrict smoking to areas that are free of flammable materials.
  • Heating equipment, such as space heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves, can also be a source of house fires. Fires can occur if heating equipment is placed too close to flammable materials, or if the equipment malfunctions. To prevent heating-related fires, it’s important to keep flammable materials away from heating equipment, use equipment that has been tested and approved by a recognized testing laboratory, and have heating equipment inspected and maintained regularly.
  • Candles can be a source of house fires if they are left unattended or placed too close to flammable materials, such as curtains or bedding. Keep candles away from flammable materials, never leave candles unattended, and use candle holders that are designed to catch dripping wax.
  • Children playing with fire, such as matches or lighters, can be a source of house fires. To prevent this type of fire, it’s important to keep matches and lighters out of reach of children, and to educate children about the dangers of fire.


Understanding the top causes of household fires and how to prevent them, you can help keep your home and family safe. Regular inspections, maintenance, and prompt repairs are key to preventing fires, and having a plan in place for responding to emergencies can help you mitigate the damage if a fire does occur.

The Pismo Beach fire damage remediation team is ready to respond 24×7 if there is a fire. The team can help ease the trauma of a home fire by working directly with the insurance company and making sure all of the necessary remediation and restoration steps are completed thoroughly and as timely as possible.

Each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different and each requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. The flames and soot from a fire cause damage as does water and fire suppression chemicals used by the fire department. There is also the chance of mold damage when water is used to put out the fire. SERVPRO technicians have the special training, certifications and equipment to handle every remediation and restoration situation associated with a fire. The steps to restoring a home after a fire include:

  • Rapid response to the location.
  • Assessing and recording the damage and working with homeowners insurance company.
  • Board-up and tarp services to mediate any further damage.
  • Water removal and drying.
  • Soot and ash removal.
  • Cleaning and repairing the premises and personal property.
  • Restoration.


SERVPRO of Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande is just a phone call away!

SERVPRO of Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande
1131 Pike Lane Suite 9
Oceano, CA 93445
(805) 473-0772